To give everyone a better idea of my future plans for
WiFi Radar, here is the latest loose timeline. Some or all
of this may change, including moving some goals to a later
version and date.
- Immediate - continue WR 2.1 development series for the
following ideas (in decending priority (i.e. most
Some time in the future - open WR 2.2 series
- WEP key: hex vs ASCII string (i.e. s:passwd) - Done
- change profile editor to tabbed notebook
interface (like general preferences) - Done
- move icons from global vars to external files
using gtk.gdk.pixbuf_new_from_file(filename) - Done
- split classes into separate files - Done
- convert "x != None" statements to "x is not None" - Done
- change comments to docstrings (HappyDoc does
not appear to be maintained) - Done
- use getopt module for version, logfile,
loglevel, help, etc.
- follow Coding Style Guide - Inprogress
- copy or re-work custom wpa_supplicant config
on per-connection basis
- double-clicking a profile in list opens as
- scroll wheel scrolling should work in profile
list and profile list scrollbar
- sortable AP list
- translations using gettext
- add Python WiFi support
- add wesp_iwconfig and wesp_serial_iwconfig
- move UI to GtkBuilder
- split connection/scanning into a separate priviledged process
- make a translation layer to use wicd backend
- add UI functional testing (e.g. StoryText/TextTest)
If you would like to implement any (or all) of these and
send in patches, please do. If you send an email to the
mailing list announcing your intentions, it will help us
coordinate our efforts, but it is not required.
Developers of WiFi Radar are encouraged to subscribe to
the mailing list. To subscribe, send an email with
subject "subscribe" to
An archive of past messages is also available.
If you are planning on doing more than just a drive-by patch submission,
please do subscribe to the mailing list as I use it as the primary
communication channel for development.
A GIT repository with the full change history since Ahmad developed WiFi Radar
with SVN is hosted on TuxFamily
and mirrored at repo.co.cz.
Anonymous pull/fetch access to the WiFi Radar GIT repository:
- TuxFamily: git://git.tuxfamily.org/gitroot/wifiradar/wifiradar.git
- repo.co.cz: git://repo.or.cz/wifi-radar.git
I have written a (very) basic
HOWTO for using GIT with WiFi Radar.
The v2.0.x branch covers development through the v2.0 stable series, while
the master branch is the active development branch.
Tags are available for each release from WR 1.9.5 through the latest WR 2.0.x.
The tags for v2.0.x are cryptographically signed with my
(Sean Robinson (2048g/30154530 8108 67A4 0D3E B3C1 0C77 81A0 6531 A000 118A 449B)).